Friday, July 20, 2007

Shake, rattle, and roll.

I get on-line this morning to check my e-mail, first scanning the news headlines on Yahoo’s home page. Apparently “An earthquake jolted San Francisco Bay area residents awake early Friday, breaking glass and rattling nerves, although there were no immediate reports of injuries.”

The earthquake hit shortly after 4:40 this morning and was recorded to have been located 2 miles east of Oakland, with a magnitude of 4.2. It was also noted that it could be felt for up to 10 seconds on both sides of the San Francisco Bay.

If I hadn’t skimmed the headlines I wouldn’t have even known we had a small quake this morning. This was one resident that slept through the bugger. My eyes lids didn’t snap open until my alarm clock started blaring in my ear at 4:55.

After we had our big one back in 1989 I had a couple of friends that live in New England that had asked me if I was a little frightened living in California with all of our quakes and with the threat of the “Big One” that has been predicted to hit us. Hell, we have so many little jolts that most of the time they go totally unnoticed. But unlike the people who live in states that have tornadoes and hurricanes every year, we don’t have to worry about having to rebuild every time a quake hits. We rarely get big ones like the one we had in 1989. As for the “Big One” that is still predicted to hit the Bay Area? I’m not going to hold my breath waiting for it to hit. If it hits, it hits.

I'm just glad we're not Japan. Now that is a country that seems to have a lot more big freaking earthquakes than we do.

Personally, I would much rather live with earthquakes than hurricanes any freaking day. But that’s just me.

No comments: