Monday, November 07, 2005

The whispers of Autumn is beckoning me...


The first time I went to Vermont was during the Fall of 1997. Halloween was only a few days away, the changes of Autumn all around me. My senses were so alive. The crispness of the cold air was nothing like I had ever felt. It awoke a part of my soul, I felt so alive. I felt like I was home.

Driving down the many different rural roads, all the trees showing thier many shades of oranges, reds, yellows, and golds. Every now and then you can spot a sugar shack nestled inbetween the changing Maples. Crossing covered bridges, reflection of Autumn in the waters from the tress just along the edges.

Yes, Autumn is one of my favorite times of the year. Around this time every year I hear the whispering of the trees and the crispness of the air, calling me. My heart aches, longing to be there.

Vermont has been whispering to me loud and clear the past couple of weeks. It's been calling me, begging me to come home. Yet, my so called home is here in California. It doesn't feel like home to me though, it never has. I long to be in Vermont, in the crisp, clean country air. I want to drive down lanes with maple tress lining both sides of the road, under a canopy of thier ever changing leaves.

The longing is even more intense this year. I think it's because I had plans to be in Vermont in just a couple of weeks. which reminds me, I need to cancel my flights. It pains me to have to do it. But then again, nothing in my life has ever gone according to any plan. I guess I'll just have to wait until next year.

I can hear the whispering of the trees...

1 comment:

J. Grace said...

Oh how it beckons me too. I feel that pull eastward. Promises of a long winter's nap. Calling to me to be a part of the colors; the smell of the fireplaces and wood stoves; the first real downpour to wash away summer's dust and brighten the leaves on the trees. But I must resist it's power, it's whisper....

And soon the reds, golds and yellows will turn to bitter cold whites and blues.....

OH how I wish it would snow! Let it snow, let it snow, let it SNOW. IN CALIFORNIA....nawwww!

But just maaaybeee....