Monday, January 08, 2007

2006 Retrospect

Unlike last year where I actually had a list of some things that I wanted to accomplish in 2006, this year I figured my aim would be nothing. After all, as the saying goes, "If you aim at nothing, you're bound to hit it every time." Yeah sure, we all set some kind of resolution(s) for the New Year. But how many of them do we actually reach? Well, let's take a look back to last year's, shall we...

1. Quite Smoking, again!
I did attempt this one several times over the year. In the end I always fell back on the motto, "Quitting is for quitters. I'm not a quitter." A lame ass excuse I know.
2. Lose about 50 lbs. (Okay, not really. I thought if I set the bar really high that if I didn't reach my goal at least I won't be disappointed.)
Yeah, uhm... We won't talk about this one.
3. Get my life back in order and out of debt.
I don't know what kind of order I was aiming for really, and as for the out of debt part... I think I am in a bigger hole now than I was then.
4. Get laid.
Okay this one I actually accomplished, not once, not twice, but three whole times! Was it worth it each time? Absolutely...not! I’ll get to that later though.
5. Get laid as much as possible!
Uhm, yeah…after the last few times, I thought it best to just leave things alone. It was a nice sentiment, but one that I knew was not realistic.


So after last years list of good intentions I decided it was best to just forego the New Year’s resolution shtick. After all, I do a good job on my own fucking up my life. Making New Year’s resolutions is just asking for Murphy’s Law to intervene. Now with that said, let’s take a moment to look back on some of those 2006 highlights, known as my life.

A week into the New Year my car needed fixing, again. This time I think it was the catalytic converter. Then, a year ago tomorrow actually, my Grammy passed away. January was already starting on the wrong foot.

February – Another death, this time Wenchy’s grandfather. Apparently I was also tried to quit smoking this month. Had the weirdest dream about Paris Hilton. Acquired a film SLR camera that I dropped, but this is when I really started to take my photography seriously.

Come June I had gone to a few concerts…Live, the Zumie Couch Tour,and BFD. By the end of the month though, my car took a shit on me. Well, more like died on me. Which resulted in me having to drive the Ghetto Convertible, having to rent a car to attend my friends wedding, and ended up fucking one of my ex-boyfriend’s not once, but twice. Somewhere in there I also fucked my old Boy Toy, who was also getting married in July too. I was being quite the slut. I ended up having one of the weirdest dreams to date that had a message because of it.

In August I turned 38. I still don’t know when I got to be 38. Time is just whizzing on by. I did buy myself the greatest birthday gift though. I registered for my first photography class and learned how to develop my own film (black & white) and my own prints. Fell in love with black & white photography all over again.

October brought the shocking death of Zenn. It’s been 3 months and I still can’t get over the fact that he is no longer with us. What still pisses me off about the whole thing is that it’s been 3 months and, as far as I know, the guys who were responsible for his death are still roaming the streets free. It saddens me to think that Zenn’s murder is going to be just another statistic.

I finally made it out to Vermont/Massachusetts for my yearly East coast vacation on Thanksgiving Day. I was hoping to visit with Drew while Erin and I were in Burlington, but that never fucking happened. I don’t know what was up Drew’s ass this time, but it was quite obvious he was avoiding me. Drew knew that I was coming out, but when I was there he wouldn’t return any of my calls the first night I was there. This isn’t the first time he’s pulled this shit, but it’s the last time I try and plan anything involving plans to visit with him. My new motto for Drew…Fuck ‘em! The one good thing that did come from my visit to Vermont was the picture I caught of Erin swinging on the swing set in her cousin's park.

I ended the year with the end of my photography class. I was told by my instructor that I’ve got talent. I told him that he probably tells that to all of his students, but that I’d like to think that I’ve got some kind of talent or I’m just wasting my time and money. He told me that I just need someone to give me a kick in the ass once in a while, which he is completely right about. But I completed the class with an A, which means a lot to me. I worked my ass off, with a little bit of laziness, but totally moved my ass to make it all up.

-----------------------------------------------

So now we’re 8 days into the New Year. My car is still not running and I’m still driving around in the ghetto’vertible. I think the transmission is starting to take a shit in that car. Nice.

I’m 7 days smoke free, haven’t had a cigarette since New Years Day. I’m doing it cold turkey. This weekend was pretty ruff, but I held out, fought the urge to buy a pack.

Next week my next photography class starts. I’m excited and looking forward to that. I can’t wait to get back into the dark room.

I’m just going to sit back and let 2007 come one day at a time. I can’t look into the future; I can only see what is in front of me today.

No comments: